Neat People vs. Sloppy People: "Suzanne Britt believes that neat people are…

Home Forums Comparison Neat People vs. Sloppy People: "Suzanne Britt believes that neat people are…

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

“Suzanne Britt believes that neat people are lazy, mean, petty, callous, wasteful, and insensitive.” How would you respond to this statement?

Anonymous

The statement that Britt believes neat people are lazy, mean, etc. could often be misinterpreted and it is also very stereotypical. A neat person is described as someone who is organized, prepared, tidy and generally put together, a sloppy person is often described as the opposite of this. But as in many situations, there are unique individuals that do not fit this mold. Suzanne Britt somewhat replicates this statement by saying “sloppy people, you see, are not really sloppy”. By this she contradicts the stereotypical sloppy person as someone who is lazy, when in her reality, the neat person is the laziest of the two. In my opinion, the lazier person can be the sloppier person because of their procrastination techniques and subordinate will to do stuff (aka me). Another point in her essay about neat vs. sloppy is that “neat people don’t care about process”, when for the most part, from what I’ve witnessed, neat people are the most step-by-step, “follow the rules and don’t deviate” kind of people I know. For example, my stepmom is OCD; not literally but she might as well be, and she only allows us to do certain things, certain ways. Like unloading he dishwasher, silverware must go last and bottom shelf must go first. I have asked her why and it is just the neat people logic speaking within her. That and many other quirks of hers are my validation behind the point of net people are not the laziest but the most tentative in what they do.

Anonymous

Although I can see how neat people can be seen this way, I do not believe that is how to describe them. In fact, I consider neat people to be the opposite. It takes work and energy to organize materials while it is easy to throw something on the ground and forget about it until a reason comes. I consider neat people as well groomed and meticulous over the items they choose to keep. They evaluate whether an item is important so that they can treasure the more valuable pieces and avoid clutter. Neat people are more organized, which allows them to find their things more easily than a sloppy person who has to shuffle through stacks of crumpled papers. When Britt describes how “sloppy people can’t bear to part with anything”, I see them as a person who is too lazy to either put or throw away an item, whether it holds value or not. I view someone who is organized as mature, hardworking, and proper.

Anonymous

I personally can justify Britt’s statement regarding neat people as well as her bias of sloppy people. Britt statues, “neat people don’t care about the process,” which argues that neat people are only neat because they have a quick turnaround and try to complete tasks as fast as possible, even though they may skim over the details. On the other hand, she argues that sloppy people “carry in their mind’s a heavenly vision, a precise plan…so perfect, it can’t be achieved in this world or the next,” which is ironically opposite than how sloppy people are typically described. She argues that sloppy people have such good ideas in their mind that they simply don’t have enough time in the day to deal with trivial tasks such as dealing with “clothes piling up in the hamper” or “family mementos [that] accumulate in every drawer.” However, if they did perform a task with unlimited amount of time, they would “straighten out the world” because they focus on the minor details.
    I think that it depends on the individual – I’m sure there are neat people who are meticulous and care about process as well as sloppy people who are lazy and don’t have a vision. However, I personally can justify Britt’s statement because I certainly fit her description of a “sloppy” person. I have an infinite amount of ideas, but I don’t have an infinite amount of time to follow through with them. I feel her statement bashing neat people is more of a defense mechanism because she, too, is a sloppy person.

Anonymous

I would disagree with the general idea of trying to put people in boxes based on certain characteristics. I would imagine many sloppy people share the qualities that Britt connects to neat people, and vice versa. I will, however, concede that there is merit to her theory, and cite two cases: my mother, and myself. My mom is typically neat, and has no trouble throwing out or giving away a large volume of stuff in a given time. She is usually “especially vicious with the mail” as well, and the trash can is always open when the mail comes in. That being said, my mom is a very hardworking individual, which also contrasts with Britt’s assumption that “neat people are lazier and meaner than sloppy people.” My method of organizing a desk is almost exactly what Britt describes, however, while it’s true that I have what Britt describes as “ambitious plans” to “organize the world,” I simply lack the motivation to make time for it. This blending of traits makes it difficult for me to justify the blanket statement that Britt makes in the beginning of her essay.

Anonymous

I only agree with Britt on the point that neat people generally do not like to take the time to look over or back at things that don’t have much value or sometimes things that do. My aunt for example, would barely look at the mail and then throw it away, unless it was very important. Also she would hardly keep anything that wouldn’t truly benefit her now, such as an ornament or childhood possession.
    However I find it ironic on how the author relates neat people to, “bums and clods at heart”, and how they want to get everything done just to be able to, “watch the rasslin’ on TV.” Since most people would instead suggest a sloppy person to be lazy, because they procrastinate and constantly tell themselves that they will get it done, but never do.
    In reality, a neat person is quite the opposite of being lazy, because they actually take the time and effort to sort everything out. Also, I disagree with Britt on the fact that, “Neat people don’t care about process. They like results”, since most of the people I know who are neat, love to be creative about the ways they organize their “stuff”. Although there are other people who don’t care but just want to get it done.
    Lastly I do also agree with Britt on sloppy people being ambitious, but not being able to execute their ambitions and making it a reality. For they tend to not look at the bigger picture, but rather the tiny details within it.
    All in all, I believe that it also matters on the personality of the person as, not just if they’re sloppy or neat, because there’s always a middle ground.

Anonymous

In today’s society, sloppiness is undesired. Those who are neat are regarded as better, in comparison. Suzanne Britt, however, believes that neat people are inferior to sloppy people. The author states, “sloppy people carry in their mind’s eye a heavenly vision, a precise plan, that is so stupendous, so perfect, it can’t be achieved in this world or the next.” Although it may seem like sloppy people do not get as much done, it is actually because they are planning everything to perfection in their head.
    Unlike with sloppy people, Britt doesn’t believe neat people care for detail, processing, and planning. “What they want to do is get the whole thing over with so they can sit down and watch the rasslin’ on TV.” The author believes neat people would rather inadequately complete a job, in effort to speed the process and move onto their next objective.
    Suzanne’s opinion towards these two types of people are opposite from what one would expect. Her comparisons between the two make it clear that she believes neatness is inferior to sloppiness.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by  .
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by  .

The forum ‘Comparison’ is closed to new topics and replies.